About this Assignment
Seeking a non-smoking individual or couple who will care for a 50-lb., energetic, and loving 4-year-old Blue Lacy, an 11-year-old, cuddly Shih Tzu, and a historic home while we are on an academic teaching assignment abroad. San Antonio is a wonderful respite for someone looking to escape the winter cold in a vibrant, multicultural, bilingual community.
Responsibilities of the Housesitter
* Care, love, and feed two dogs; daily exercise consists of a variety of walks, ball-play, and attention; maintain a monthly schedule of preventative medication
* Be alert to any health issues with pets and bring to our immediate attention
* Oversee and maintain the home to ensure all remains secure and in working order; bring any issues to our immediate attention so a solution can be sourced; lawn/landscape will be maintained by a third-party contractor as needed
This home in the historic Keystone District of San Antonio is just under 1,400 sq ft., was built in the classic 1920’s craftsman style, and retains a number of original elements complemented by thoughtful updates. Details include:
* Single story, 1 bedroom, 1 bath; full living, dining, and kitchen; includes separate den/TV room and dedicated office area
* Abundant natural light; a fenced-in backyard with deck
* Internet/WiFi and utilities are included
* The nearest grocery store is within ½ mile, an easy, flat, 10-minute walk from the house; additional, local grocery stores are 1.9 and 5.4 miles away; specialty markets (eg. Whole Foods) are located 4.1 and 4.7 miles away; farmer’s markets are open on weekends year-round
* Located 4 miles from downtown and minutes away from the many amenities listed in the About San Antonio section (below)
* Individuals with knowledge of the property and pets are available in San Antonio to answer questions as necessary
* Please see the photo gallery for a walk-through of the home and to “meet” the pups
What Does The Housesitter Need To Consider Before Applying To This Assignment
* Must love dogs! The pups are beloved members of the family, are kept indoors when the humans are not at home and are monitored at all times outside.
* Must be a conscientious and responsible dog caregiver. The dogs are crate-trained and are accustomed to being let out or walked at regular intervals, ca. every 4-5 hours. There can be some variances on their routine, but priority must be given to the comfort of the dogs.
* Must be an experienced dog walker capable of handling a young, strong, high-energy, medium-sized dog. Our female Blue Lacy is well-behaved and well-trained around people, but is threatened by large dogs and will react. Typically, we walk her once a day on a gentle leader for 1-3 miles in areas where there are fewer dogs. We will provide a list of suggested locations for walks.
* A car will make this assignment more feasible and enjoyable although it is not essential. As noted, the closest grocery store is four blocks away and public transportation (bus) to both downtown and all major parts of the city is also four blocks away.
* The weather in San Antonio is usually mild during the winter months (December and January: 64?/40? | February: 67?/43?). However, if a freeze occurs, the ideal house sitter will proactively wrap the outdoor water fixtures to prevent a larger issue.
* Start date is not negotiable; the end date is negotiable from February 15th forward; an extension of the end date into the Spring is also available for those wanting a longer assignment.
* A DIY person is a plus but not required; a contractor/management team is available if needed.
* No smoking, drugs, or parties.
About San Antonio
There’s a reason why San Antonio is now a top tourist destination — there is a lot to see and do in the nation’s seventh-largest city. Aside from our famous Riverwalk, the Alamo, and the Missions (now a UNESCO World Heritage Site), San Antonio has many golf courses, nearby lakes and rivers, museums, theaters, outdoor recreational opportunities, festivals, theme parks, and much more.
Arts | The world-class Tobin Center for the Performing Arts provides a vital nexus for local performing arts companies - including the San Antonio Symphony, Opera, Ballet, and others. The “Tobin” - and neighboring, historic Majestic Theatre - offer a vibrant and diverse schedule of nationally-touring artists and productions. Enjoy exceptional jazz at Jazz TX in the historic Pearl Brewery complex - where you can also find some of the best restaurants in town - or catch local talent at Sam’s Burger Joint.
Entertainment | The San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo - 14x winner of the prestigious PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo Of The Year Award - runs from February 6-23, 2020 and features a star-studded line-up of entertainment and events including Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, ZZ Top, and more. The San Antonio Spurs make their home at the nearby AT&T Center, just a few miles from the historic San Antonio Riverwalk - a must-see during the holiday season. The Riverwalk also offers more than 15 linear miles of continuous trail through the center of the city from Brackenridge Park to Mission Espada.
Outdoors | Beyond the Riverwalk, the City is in the final stages of a major expansion of its Greenway Trail System, a network of approximately 68 miles of developed multi-use and accessible trails. The Greenway trails wind through natural landscapes along many of San Antonio’s waterways including Salado Creek, Leon Creek, and the Medina River. The city park system includes numerous outdoor options and the Government Canyon State Natural Area is located just northwest of the city.