We are looking for a clean, responsible, mature, animal-loving couple to care for our comfortable, well-equipped house, garden, and two cats while we are on holiday. This would be for about six weeks (sometime between mid Dec end Jan 2023).
Responsibilities required of the house sitter:
The most important things to us are that the animals feel loved and secure; that our home is enjoyed and cared for responsibly; and that our plants don't die!
Our sweet (indoor/outdoor) cats, Miss Penny and Tessa, are pretty shy to new people, so they may hide most of the day. They will need to be fed twice daily and litter box cleaned.
It will be helpful if the garden areas are watered every couple of days and weeded when necessary. House plants looked after. We will provide a weekly gardener for major weeding and upkeep.
In addition, we manage a nearby property and will need you to be to available Friday afternoons to pay the worker(s) their weekly wage (money will be left for this).
About the property and location:
- Our house is situated on a mountain top with a 360 degree view and surrounded by a couple of acres with fruit, coffee, and hard wood trees. Some of the more established fruit and coffee trees are producing. We also have a small edibles garden.
- The house has a washing machine, wood burning fireplace, internet connection.
- A 15mins drive/40 min walk to the center of town (Vilcabamba) where English (as well as many other languages) is widely spoken.
- Plenty of shops, restaurants/ cafes, hiking, and horseback riding
- Fresh market every weekend
- Cultural melting pot of foreigners
Things to consider before applying for this assignment:
We are pretty private people who do most socializing in town, not at our home, so would expect the same from anyone staying in our house.
Although not required, it would be very helpful if you know (at least) some basic Spanish - especially since we have workers that will need to be paid.
We do have a car and can discuss this potential option. Otherwise, you'll be either taking taxis ($5 one way) OR hiking (1 hour via road or 40 minutes via trail) to/from town. The house is located in a pretty isolated location with few neighbors, but overlooks the village so it doesn't 'feel' completely secluded. You must enjoy peace and tranquility.
We prefer non-smokers and references.