I am a fit, active, non-smoking and responsible single woman. I have owned my own homes since I was 22 so I understand the joys and challenges that pet and homeownership bring. I also have rental property so I know how to call a plumber or other emergency provider. My goal is to give you peace of mind so you can enjoy your vacation or work travel without worry.
I am an especially good fit for expats who want to visit family back home, knowing that there will be a human presence in their house while they are away.
I am primarily a writer and investor now, but I have been a self-employed communications expert, project manager and executive vice president responsible for client services so I am organized, detail oriented and know how to take initiative.
My lifestyle and personality are relaxed and social and I love the outdoors. A television is not necessary and you are welcome to turn off your cable subscription if you’re going to be gone for a while. I may watch a movie occasionally on my computer, but most of the time I’d rather be reading, writing or taking a good walk—and being at the house a lot makes me a good companion for pets.
I grew up with pets and always believed in their importance to children so over the years I have had dogs, cats, ducks, hamsters, guinea pigs, snakes, fish, a tarantula, an iguana and a horse. (I don’t relish caring for horses at this point; they are a lot of work!) I never had my own chickens, but I have done housesits where I cared for chickens and collected eggs.
I am a full time and financially secure traveler, not a “tourist.” I like actually living in other countries and getting to experience the day-to-day culture for a few months at a time (usually as long as a tourist visa will allow me to stay). That said, I also enjoy visiting different parts of the U.S.--and realized after living in ‘the South’ for a couple of months in 2016 that it seemed more like another country than some of the ‘foreign’ ones I have been to.
I chose to rent my own home and become a ‘digital nomad’ in 2013 after successfully surviving breast cancer and I have had a wonderful time experiencing the U.S. and Canada, Eastern Europe, Ecuador, Mexico and Medellin, Colombia. Although I prefer settling in for a month or more, it’s possible I’ll take a short-term assignment of a week or two if I am near your area anyway so feel free to check in with me.
Because I am a writer, I don’t mind ‘hunkering down’ in a cold climate while you get away for your snowbird winter vacation. My one firm requirement is fast, reliable Internet access.
I really like the concept of the ‘sharing economy’ and have enjoyed staying in B&Bs in many parts of the world. As I have begun housesitting, I realize it’s a bit like that. I get to make some new friends—with you and your pets—learn about a new location and provide a valuable service at the same time. By minimizing expenses for us both, it enables us to travel more than we might otherwise and in my book, that’s a good thing—making the world a smaller place, with more understanding. As Thoreau said, “Friends at a distance make the latitudes and longitudes.”
I am down to earth, practical, adaptable and value different cultures, people and ways of doing things. I will ask you your preferences, care for your home and make sure your pets are loved and protected. Although they will miss you and be overjoyed at your return, I try to make them think of me as “the fun Granny who comes to visit.”
- Comfortable with running and maintaining a wide variety of properties, from high end luxury villas to small high-rise studios to rural cottages. I enjoy big cities when I know I don’t have to live there forever, but I love being in small towns or the country, especially when there are trees around.
- Comfortable with all size dogs, elderly cats, other indoor animals and some outdoor animals. Cats especially respond to me.
- Adaptable to different lifestyles, cultures and environments
- Experienced in dealing with household staff
With my experience and expertise, you can:
- Be assured that I will respect and understand the investment you have in your home and will care for your home as I would my own
- Sleep soundly knowing that a competent sitter is protecting your home and property
- Experience the joy of coming back to a warm and welcoming home that is clean and in good order, as you left it.
- Know that your plants will be cared for while you are away
- Leave home worry free, knowing your home and any pets will receive the care and attention they deserve